Who I Am
Born and brought up in Dunfermline in Scotland, I attended Glasgow University on leaving school. I studied hard, gained a Master of Arts degree, and excitedly looked forward to enjoying a bright and rewarding future. I had big dreams and goals and, for the next decade, enthusiastically set about turning them into reality. My future as I had envisioned it, however, got hacked. And life started to take me in a direction I hadn’t anticipated. On holiday in Mexico, I contracted a serious infection at around the age of thirty years old. Despite medical interventions, my body struggled to recover fully, and progressive neurological symptoms, excruciating muscle spasms and severe nerve and bone pain became my constant companion. Whilst I did all I could to continue to make the very most of life, enjoyed raising a family, and continued to follow a career path until I became too ill to work 1998, in truth, in the last thirty-five years, I have never woken up to a day free of central and autonomic nervous system dysfunction, and intractable nerve and bone pain.
It is only fair to say, my medical file is complex and makes for lengthy reading. I have been given many different diagnoses over the years, including that of Multiple Sclerosis (MS). However, it is now believed that in addition to arthritis, degenerative disc disease, and bi-lateral neurogenic thoracic outlet syndrome (TOS), that I have the rare and incurable condition of full-body, multi-site, multi-system, Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS) which, due to its intensely high pain levels, is commonly dubbed “the suicide disease”.
In a life-defining moment in 2002, the horror of a lifetime ahead of pain and illness hit me. On that bleak November morning, all became clear for me: whilst I was physically alive and breathing, on the inside, I felt numb and dead.
I was only forty-six years old at the time and felt I hadn’t fully lived. In that pivotal moment, I yelled, “Enough is Enough!” and decided to do all I could to live my life with more comfort, peace, and joy despite the ongoing challenges I faced. I dug deep for strength and courage and committed to doing all I could from that moment to crack open the darkness and let the light stream back in.
Today, whilst I still live with intractable pain and ongoing health challenges, I am a soul fully alive and with spirit well.
What I Believe
My Core Beliefs & Values
- Life is precious, and you must squeeze meaning or joy from the NOW and each moment.
- True happiness does not rely on favourable circumstances or anything external. Happiness comes from within and manifests from your state of mind and the wellbeing of your soul.
- Change in life is possible when you believe it to be so, see that you deserve it, and are committed to taking personal responsibility and action to craft the change you want.
- By fully expressing and embracing who you authentically are, you bring something unique and wonderful to the world.
- By turning your hurt and wounds to wisdom, you impact a bigger cause; you awaken hope, possibility and change in others.
- By shining your unique light and living your best life, you help and encourage others to do the same…
- Everything you go through in life is part of a bigger picture; a magical, mysterious, educational, and divine process.
- When you have fulfilled your unique role and purpose on Earth you are called Home, and your soul and spirit live on.
What Fires The Light Within Me?
What I am passionate about
Despite living with intractable pain and complex neurological illness, every morning, I awaken enthused to embrace what the new day brings me.
Neither my pain nor illness nor any labels I have been given over the years dictate or define who or what I am.
My spirit is strong. My soul is vibrant, safe, secure, and healthy.
Being a sherpa, guide, and lighthouse to others fires and fuels my light within.
I live in Milnathort, Kinross-shire, Scotland, with my husband Peter, and our beautiful Fox Red Labrador, Jackson.
I am intuitive and highly spiritual—practical, honest, raw and vulnerable at times, and REAL.
Why Should You Trust Me?
My coaching credentials and experience
I have had a lifelong fascination with personal improvement and attainment, living my best life and pushing through comfort zones. Over the years, and especially through my own personal challenges, I have gained a unique and valuable perspective on the role our mind plays.
I am passionate about the coaching and mentoring work I do and live my life with passion also. I have invested in myself heavily over the years and have learned from world leaders in the mind and motivational fields.
I am an International Coach Federation (ICF) accredited Professional Coach (the ICF is the largest worldwide regulatory body for the coaching industry), an experienced Transformative Life Coach; High Performance, Success & Mindset Coach; International Unhackable Certified Coach, Speaker, Trainer; and a Licensed Master Practitioner of Neuro-Linguistic Programming (NLP) (trained by Dr Richard Bandler, the co-founder of NLP, and John & Kathleen La Valle ).
I have also learned mindfulness and meditation practices, and hypnosis techniques from the renowned Paul McKenna.
My Coaching Credentials and Qualifications Include
- International Unhackable Certified Coach, Speaker, Trainer (Kary Oberbrunner)
- Certificate of Professional Coaching Practice (C.P.C.P) in life and business coaching (New-U Coaching, Edinburgh)
- Certificate in Advanced Coach Training in Transformational Coaching for life and business (Full Circle Development Consultancy, Edinburgh)
- Licensed Practitioner of Neuro-Linguistic Programming Certificate (NLP Life Training, London, Dr Richard Bandler with John and Kathleen LaValle)
- Licensed Master Practitioner of Neuro-Linguistic Programming Certificate (NLP Life Training, London, Dr Richard Bandler with John and Kathleen LaValle)
- Exclusive One Day Masterclass with Dr Richard Bandler (Attendance by a strict application process. I was privileged to be one of only 12 people invited to participate)
- The Secrets of Hypnosis (NLP Life Training, Dr Richard Bandler and Paul McKenna)
- NLP for Business Communication (NLP Life Training, Dr Richard Bandler and John La Valle)
- A wide variety of ICF Professional Development Continuing Coach Education Certificates
- I am a current member of the International Coach Federation (ICF)
- Comply with and adhere to the ICF Code of Conduct and Ethics
- Possess an Enhanced Disclosure Scotland Certificate and full PVG Scheme membership
- Am registered and comply with the regulations as set by The Data Protection Act 1998
- Carry Public Liability and Professional Indemnity Insurance
- Possess a Master of Arts Degree (M.A.) from Glasgow University and an HNC from Carnegie College.
- I am the author of the #1 International bestselling book Unhackable Soul.
ONGOING PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT PROGRAMME:
I believe every successful and happy person needs to continuously evolve and grow at a deeply personal level to ensure they are giving their best to others and living their best life.
I regard myself a lifelong learner and am currently studying towards a Diploma in End-of-Life Therapy and Care.
“My life is undoubtedly richer for having had the opportunity to meet Maureen. She is a beautiful, giving soul whose personal inspirational story is a testament to the enduring strength that individuals in the chronic illness community possess. Through her work and words as a Coach, Mentor, and Author, she offers a true blueprint for not just living but how to rise from within challenging circumstances to fully embrace life and thrive.”
Founder/CEO – The Burning Limb Foundation
“A warrior of the light shares with others what he knows of the path.”